Tuesday 25 August 2009

Everything Changes

Sometimes the ability of the world to keep changing at such a rate it's almost dizzying amazes me. From something as insignificant as the change and progression of one students (lets say me, for arguments sake) change in the last 12 months to the leaps and bounds in technology, science, health everything in the last 50 years it still amazes me.

These thoughts have primarily stemmed from a admittedly friends and pizza induced conversation with an amazing new friend to how on earth we could have survived without the internet and mobile phones which led me to wonder, how that was possible. To further this the next day I went to visit my elderly grandmother (who said I wasn't a good grandchild??), where the discussion moved swiftly onto my cousins who moved to Australia about three years ago, and how 30 years ago that would have meant saying goodbye forever where as now I can webcam with them and don't think twice about what an amazing gift that is.

Following all of this deep thinking, I started to think about how life is always changing and moving on and forward. Even on the comparatively insignificant version of my own life where in the last 12 months I have moved to a different country, moved in on my own, started university and done 100's of things I never in a million years thought I would do some good (sailing the coast of Scotland being a highlight) some less good (shattering my right wrist whilst kayaking) but regardless all things that have shaped and changed me, for what I think is the better although who am I to judge?

I have spent a while trying to decide if I like this idea of constant change and growth as well what if you don't want to change or to grow? But ultimately the list of things that have been gained through change in every way of life is so amazing and so important to the world that as much as sometimes it can be a scary notion it is essentially the most important thing that any human can do for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment